Tax-deductible donations to Wild Root Market can be made through The Cooperative Development Fund of CDS (Cooperative Development Services). The mission of the fund is to support the wise use of cooperative approaches through education and development. The organization meets the requirements for a charitable and educational institution as described in Chapter 501(c)3 of the federal tax code, and demonstrates compliance by filing annual financial statements (Form 990) with the IRS.
- Charitable donations are NOT the same as Ownership or investments. No other item of value (e.g. Ownership share, voting rights, Owner discount, etc.) will be provided to donors of charitable gifts. This does not extend to recognition of gifts (newsletter shout-outs, “Wall of Supporters” recognition, other public recognition, etc.).
- Donations should be made by check, payable to "Cooperative Development Fund of CDS": Do not use other organizational names such as “CDS” or “Cooperative Development Services” to avoid confusion. Credit card donations are not accepted as the fees to process these transactions are excessive.
- Checks can be mailed to Wild Root Market, P.O. Box 443, Racine, 53401. We will forward the checks to the Cooperative Development Fund.
- Charitable donations of $200 and above will be recognized in writing by the Fund. The Fund will send a written letter of acknowledgement to donors of $200 or more; the donors will need such letters for their records should they seek to deduct their gift on their tax returns. Donors of less than $200 have other options for supporting their claim of deductibility (typically their cancelled check) and do not require a written letter of acknowledgement.
- Use of Funds: Donations may be used to facilitate the reasonable development of a cooperative business enterprise but shall not include capital expenditures for real estate or leases. Permitted uses may include professional fees, supplies, inventory, GM or employee payroll and benefits, building renovations, furnishings, etc. related to project development.
- Administrative fees: Administrative Fees are calculated on a sliding scale as follows: 10% of all donations received up to $5000, 5% of the total between $5001 and $25,000, and 2.5% of those donations in excess of $25,000. Administrative fees are used to cover expenses such as staff time to research, develop, file, and maintain state registrations; accounting, audit expenses, and check fees, among others.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Not yet an Owner? What are you waiting for?